Thursday 20 February 2014

Box End Park WeBS: 16/02/2014

I was just glad to be able to access the park for my Webs count this week. The previous weekend the entire park was under water so it was good to see some grass between the lake and the river when I arrived.

It was also great to see the first Oystercatcher of the year on site although with the island underwater it was limited as to where it could go. I hope the island appears in time to give it a chance to nest this year.

There were a number of areas of standing water between the lake and the river which had attracted Pied Wagtails and Meadow Pipits in to feed. This resulted in my highest site counts for these 2 species.

The Mute Swan count was also the highest for this species since I have been surveying this site. Quite surprised by that given they can go just about anywhere at the moment and find water!

Here are all the counts:

Black-headed Gull 26
Canada Goose 2
Cormorant 5
Grey Heron 2
Kestrel 1
Mallard 70
Meadow Pipit 16 (Also had 4 over)
Moorhen 1
Mute Swan 19
Oystercatcher 1
Pied/White Wagtail 33
Skylark 1

No comments:

Post a Comment