Sunday 21 April 2013

Kempston Mill - 21/04/2013

I was out early again this morning for a walk along the Great Ouse at Kempston Mill. It was another cracking morning, if a little cool early on. I must have been the first down there as I came across this Fox sleeping behind a tree next to the river. Unfortunately the shutter noise woke it up. Is it just me or does it have big fang?
Fox
It's been a while since I saw the Otter, Easter Monday to be exact, and this morning was another blank on that front. I wonder if she is working the section north of the island at Biddenham Loop CP at the moment. Hopefully she'll switch back to the section south of the island soon.

Noticeably more Blackcaps about this morning, Sedge Warbler was new in at Biddenham Loop as was a Whitethroat. Chiffchaffs were either quiet or some have moved on. Also less Willow Warblers than earlier in the week, having said that previous years I've been lucky to find one so having a handful singing is fantastic.

I came across this singing Song Thrush along the side of the golf course and for once it stayed long enough for a photo.

Song Thrush
Further along on the footpath, between the new builds, I came across this male Linnet. I first thought it was a female as the red markings are subtle, but you can see the red flecks in the breast and similar in the crown. A lovely bird, if not as well marked as some males.
Linnet
I got home fairly early so I decided to pay a visit to Putnoe Wood to see if I could get some more photo's of the Nuthatches. I didn't as they stayed too high up in the trees but I'm now certain there are at least 2 pairs, both favouring the south side of the wood, one at the east end and one at the west. I saw the east end pair mating today so we can expect at least one fresh batch of Nuthatches this year. Might make for some better photo opportunities too. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment